How to Protect Your Child From Identity Theft and Online Fraud
- Teach your child safe online behavior. Ensure that they understand never to share personal information such as pictures, passwords, address, location or phone numbers with anyone online.
- Parents should regularly check their bank statements or credit cards for any unfamiliar bank charges.
- Let your child know not to post private pictures online as they run the risk of a predator stealing their identity and posing as them while engaging in irresponsible online behavior.
- Review what personal identification is and why it’s precious i.e. First, last and middle name, date of birth, address, phone number, birth certificate, medical cards and passport.
- Explain that all these identifiers show the world who he or she is, so they must be divulged only in the right circumstances.